Skip to main content
Skip to main content

Important Information

The Immunization and Health Insurance Office at University Health Services is here to assist you with the mandatory Immunization and Health Insurance requirements for Florida State University students.

In order to register for classes at FSU, all students are required to submit a one-time Immunization form, showing proof of two combined MMR vaccines and to either show proof of or complete a waiver for Hepatitis B and Meningococcal Meningitis. For complete details, select the Immunization Requirements icon at the bottom of this page to access the form and Instructions for completion.

Additionally, on an annual basis FSU requires all main campus students to show proof of health insurance coverage. For complete details, instructions for showing proof, or, if you do not have sufficient coverage already, and wish to see details for the FSU sponsored plan through United Healthcare Student Resources, select the Insurance Requirement icon below.


Insurance Requirement

FSU requires all main campus students to have health insurance as an admissions requirement. Learn more by clicking on the link below.

Insurance Requirement


Immunization Requirements

FSU requires all students to have been vaccinated with two MMR vaccines and either show proof of or waive Hepatitis B and Meningococcal Menengitis.

Immunization Requirements

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What immunizations are required?
    • MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
      • Two vaccinations are required.
        • The first immunization must have been given on or after the first birthday and after January 1, 1968. Immunizations given more than 4 days before the first birthday DO NOT count toward the two MMR requirement.
        • The second immunization must have been given at least 28 days following the first MMR immunization.
    • IgG titers showing proof of positive immunity to measles, mumps AND rubella may be submitted in place of the two MMR requirement.
      • Lab slips showing POSITIVE immunity to each of the three diseases must be submitted with the Student Immunization Record.
      • An equivocal or negative titer on any of the three tests will require the student to receive the MMR series.
    • Students born before January 1, 1957 are exempt from showing proof of vaccination against measles, mumps and rubella.
  • Is the Meningitis vaccine recommended, safe and available at UHS?
    • The meningitis vaccine is recommended by the health center for those students who will be living in residence halls or living in close quarters (Greek housing, apartment complexes, etc.). It is safe to receive and we do have the vaccine at the health center. Call 850-644-4567 to schedule an appointment.
  • Can UHS complete my Hepatitis B series?
    • Yes, if you need immunizations, required or not, you may get them at UHS by calling 850-644-4567 to schedule an appointment.
  • I have a medical condition that prevents me from receiving the MMR. What do I do?
    • Attach a letter from your medical provider to your Immunization Form explaining why you cannot receive the MMR. Make certain the letter includes whether the exemption is permanent or temporary. If the exemption is temporary (such as your course of medication will end or your baby will be born) have the letter include an end date for the exemption. Understand further that if there is an immunization-preventable disease outbreak at FSU, any student with an exemption for immunizations will be excluded from classes and any other activities on campus until two weeks after the last case has been diagnosed.
  • What do I do if I can't find any of my immunization records?
    • If you cannot find proof of your immunization records, you have the option to retake the dose series for the required MMR vaccine or receive a blood draw for MMR IgG titers to show proof of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella. You must show positive for all three titers and submit numerical lab results to the Health Compliance office. You may also receive the shots for Hepatitis B and Meningitis or decline the vaccines by completing the waivers on the Immunization form. There is a titer for Hepatitis B, but there is no titer for Meningitis at this time.
  • What if my doctor's office doesn't have an office stamp?
    • If your doctor's office does not have an office stamp, they may attach their business card, a fax coversheet with their letterhead, or neatly fill in their office information in the office stamp section of the form.
  • What is FSU dropbox?
    • FSU dropbox is a secure and easy way for you to move files in and out of the university. All files are transferred across the network securely encrypted.
  • How do I submit records via the dropbox?
  • How do I obtain an insurance card?
    • To obtain an insurance card from UHCSR, go online to Once there, click on Login to My Account and sign in with your selected username and password. If you do not have a username and password, you will first need to select Create Account. Then, login in to My Account and pick the ID card link to see a digital version. You may also print and request a hard copy of your ID.
  • Who is required to show proof of health insurance?
    • All domestic students taking a full course load, all international students and international post-doctoral fellows and visiting scholars on a J-1 or F-1 visa are required to show proof of health insurance.
  • Who is not required to show proof of health insurance?
    • Students studying abroad with the FSU International Programs Department.
    • Students studying at the Panama City FSU campus and the Republic of Panama FSU campus.
    • Distance learning students.
    • Students studying in other designated special programs at FSU such as transient students, dual-enrolled students and co-op students.
    • Domestic students taking fewer than 12 undergraduate credit hours or fewer than 9 graduate credit hours in the fall and spring terms and fewer than 6 hours in the summer may contact the Health Compliance Office for a credit hour underload to clear the insurance requirement.
  • What happens if I don't show proof of health insurance?
    • Registration is blocked for those students required to show proof of health insurance.
  • Why is having health insurance important?
    • Health insurance provides protection for the unexpected illnesses and injuries that can interrupt your education and takes care of the expenses for preventative and routine health care. Part of our mission at the health center is to insure that students at Florida State have the opportunity to optimize their entire university educational experience through good health. Students without health insurance often neglect their health or defer their health care because of the expense. No student should have to decide between continuing his or her education or paying a medical bill.
  • Does the school sponsored health insurance (UHCSR) cover dental and vision?
    • UHCSR covers pediatric dental services with benefits provided for insured persons under the age of 19.
    • For insured persons 19 and older, the plan offers discount vision and discount dental benefits offered through the UnitedHealth Allies Discount Plan. The student can typically save 5% to 50% on a variety of health services including dental and vision services. To view or print a member handbook, get full details of all savings opportunities or to locate participating providers, the student can register at
  • How do I use my school sponsored health insurance for dental and vision?
    • You use your school sponsored health insurance for dental and vision by first registering online at The UnitedHealth Allies ID card is available along with your UHCSR medical card. You will need to use the ID number on the UnitedHealth Allies ID card to register at

To resolve compliance issues for either immunizations or health insurance,

call 850-644-3608 or send an e-mail to

Division of Student Affairs at Florida State University

University Health Services
Health and Wellness Center
960 Learning Way
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL 32306

Phone: 850–644–3608
Website Questions/Broken Links

University Health Services: